Saturday, August 28, 2010

Interested in a co-worker.. What to do?

"Dear Housewife,

Ok I’m going to try and keep this fairly short but give you all the info because I’m really at a loss at the moment.

I started a new job about three months ago. Since I started I have liked this guy (he's 24, i'm 21) who works on reception and is a kind of odd job guy. I work on the next floor up. So although we work at the same place and for the same company, we don’t work in the same department and we don’t work closely together.

He is what most people would describe as kind of a geek is guess. He’s intelligent, funny, good looking, a bit of an awkward person sometimes and has even admitted to me that he lacks self confidence.

We have been flirting for months now. We’ve found out that we have loads in common from our sense of humour to music we like and tv we watch. I think we both make excuses to talk to each other about work stuff when we don’t really need to and we email each other about nothing really important just so that we can chat. In short I really really like him and I’m sure he likes me.
However, I don’t think either of us has the confidence to approach the other about taking this outside of work and getting to know each other better. I think he has made a few attempts at trying to work the conversation round to meeting up. Like once we were chatting and he said something about him being different outside of work and it was only when I mulled the conversation over a while later that I realised it could have been an opening.

We don’t really have any friends in common at work that can slip a few hints or anything like that and I would rather keep this out of the work gossip and just get to know each other and see how things go without anyone knowing.

The one person at work I have told is a girl who I work closely with, go to lunch with etc and I know she wouldn’t tell anyone else. I have thought about sending her in (so to speak) to drop a few hints etc but I don’t know if that will work.
I would really appreiciate any insight you have and any suggestions as to how to move this forward.

Many thanks!"




Dear Reader,

What an exciting time to be in. I just love the flirty play that happens prior to a first date. It is always so much fun!

Are there any new restaurants opening up or any that you haven't been to that you've wanted to go to?

Maybe during some of your email conversations or talks, you could say something about wanting to go, but your friend can't go with you to lunch that day. It would open it up for him to be able to ask you a little easier possibly.
You could even tell him that you've had a pretty bad day at work, and were wanting to go for a drink and see if he'd like to join you.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend having your friend hint around to him about you having an interest. That may put her in a bad position for anything future. I would keep the conversations between the two of you.
If it is harder to talk with him in person, then email or IM would work as well to get the ball rolling.

I know that making a first move is hard, but with you feeling that he is interested in you, then you've got a great possibility of getting a yes from him.

I hope I have been able to help, and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

*If you have a question and would like it submitted for inclusion on Ask A Housewife!, please use the contact form and your question will be posted at the soonest availability.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this helpful, or wish to offer your own advice, please do so.
I always look forward to hearing from my readers!